The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Will Make You Cry

Tuesday, February 4, 2014


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is: Top Ten Books That Will Make You Cry


1. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay - A tragedy with a truly beautiful love story at its heart. I could talk about this book all day - and I kind of did here - but all I'll say for today is: if you haven't read this yet, please get a copy right now. 

2. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt - Some books get right in your bones and this was one of them. June and Toby's friendship was heartbreaking and it had a great soundtrack too. 

3. Flat-Out Love/Flat-Out Matt by Jessica Park - Just a really sweet love story with some great tear jerker lines. Think Meredith and Cristina's "you're my person" teary monologues. 

4. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar - A tale of release, restoration, and new beginnings. You want such good things for Carly and when they start to happen...well, you shed a little tear. 

5. Summer Series by Jenny Han - These books are very nostalgic and wistful in tone and will make you cry in that 'oh man, it's the end of summer/where has my childhood gone?' kind of way. 

6. Take Me There by Carolee Dean -  A troubled boy looking for answers, dredging up the past in the process. Family drama ensues. The ending of this book will surely make you cry more than a little bit.

7. If I Stay by Gayle Forman - Prepare for tears the whole way through this one. Beautifully written.

8. The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson - This is probably my favourite on the list after The Sea of Tranquility. Even though it is about the grieving process, it's like a long exhale.

9. Atonement by Ian McEwan - War stories always produce a few tears but the whole "come back" thing gets me every time. Loved the film too. In fact, I was playing the score the other day and just hearing that sets me off. 

10. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - Another beautiful love story. I'm sure you've all read and/or seen this one. Oh, the ending *sniff*. The book is much better than the film though (even though I'm a huge Rachel McAdams fan). 

7 comments

  1. Tell The Wolves I'm Home just narrowly missed making it onto my list--what a wonderful book! June and Toby . . . June and Finn . . . I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a beautiful book, isn't it? I'll definitely read it again this year.

      Delete
  2. I've seen The Sky is Everywhere on so many lists today! I love that you described it as a long exhale - that makes me want to read it. I guess I should add it to my TBR. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Emily! Oh definitely give it a go at some point.

      Delete
  3. I recently won The Sea of Tranquility and now I'm even more excited to read it since I've seen it on so many people's lists this week. I love a book that makes me cry!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sea of Tranquility was probably my favourite book of last year. You'll do lots of crying with this one!

      Delete
  4. Great picks. If I Stay, The Sky is Everywhere and The Time Traveller's Wife made my list too, such emotional and beautiful books. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!