The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

One Singular Sensation

Sunday, February 24, 2013

On Friday, I had the great pleasure of seeing the West End revival of A Chorus Line and I was blown away. I assumed it would be good (theatre tickets are expensive so I rarely go 'just because') but I was not prepared for how much I would love it. 

I have loved the music of A Chorus Line since I was a child. I've only seen the film once or twice but I have listened to the songs many, many times over the years. I don't think I've been to a job interview without 'God, I hope I get it' filling my head at some point! I can't dance to save my life but I do remember 're-enacting' the opening number and 'I Can Do That' in my living room more than once. So, to see it all brought to life again right in front of me was an absolute joy. 

Firstly, the audience seemed to be on a bit of a high even before the show started- the excitement was palpable and I already heard a couple of people humming 'One'. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into too much detail but we were literally thrown into the opening scene and the momentum continued to build all the way until the finale. No easy feat when there's no interval to hide behind and regroup. 

The staging was brilliant mostly due to the use of the mirrors, particularly in 'The Music and the Mirror'. Also, The London Palladium is such a grand theatre steeped history, thus the perfect setting for this ode to brilliance of the performer, the entertainer. The songs have also stood the test of time - everything that is said is still relevant today. Each performer really shone both collectively and individually and everybody nodded and clapped in agreement when Cassie exclaimed 'they're all special!' The cast obviously enjoy perfoming A Chorus Line very much and their enthusiasm was catching. I tip my imaginary top hat to them and urge anyone who is after a fun and entertaining evening to grab a ticket.



Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!