The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Wednesday, June 26, 2013



Publisher: Penguin
Format: Kindle e-book
Rating: 5/5

Ok, I'm not even going to attempt to write a synopsis for this book as everything is far too complicated to explain without spoilers. To be honest, I didn't even read the Goodreads/Amazon blurb before I bought it because I vaguely remember hearing it was about Liz and Dick and that was enough for me. Then Lainey waxed lyrical about it and I thought, ok, time to get it. So, I'll give you some key words to help you decide if it will be your sort of thing: 


Richard Burton
Cleopatra
Hollywood players
The Italian Riviera 
Edinburgh Festival
The Donner Party

This was a great read. Just thinking about it has me giggling. It was fast paced (actually, make that lightning speed), hilarious but laced with universal truths. I can't really say too much because the plot reveals are delicious and plentiful but I can understand why the film rights were snapped up.

The characters were crazy and full of life. A good novel featuring multiple points of view will always make you want to go back to the previous character's story when the chapter changes. I am pleased to report, this happened throughout Beautiful Ruins. The settings were colourful and fun and will make for a beautiful film. The ending is almost perfect too, which is rare. Endings are difficult because a story never ends but Mr Walter handled this with flair and finesse. 

Overall, it is an excellent commentary on our obsession with obsession, fame, and celebrity couples featuring the couple that arguably started it all - our beloved Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. I think I need to read The Financial Lives of the Poets next.  

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!