The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

RTW- Laugh Factory

Wednesday, January 23, 2013




This Week's Topic is: Good for a laugh: who is your favorite comedian or funny book and/or movie?

Favourite Comedian

This is a really difficult question. I love our British humour. I have fond memories of howling with laughter at Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, The Real McCoy, Goodness Gracious Me and Absolutely Fabulous. Apparently I really liked Spitting Image too even though I was only seven when it ended. However, this makes sense as I am sure the main reason I laughed was because it was all about impressions. I love a good impressions show. I also love all the funny women who are killing it at the moment (didn't Amy and Tina do well the other day?!). Therefore, as I am dragging my 2012 patriotism for Queen and Country lark kicking and screaming into 2013, I think I will give this one to funny lady and fellow Brit Ronni Ancona. 
I know my friends and I would spend a lot of time in the playground doing impressions of her impressions. Incidentally, I was lucky enough to attend a discussion on women in comedy with Ronni Ancona and Ruby Wax- needless to say I was a little starstruck!
But here's Amy and Tina anyway. One of my favourite zingers of the night was when Amy Poehler said to Ben Affleck "I'm from Boston too...You're not better than me". 


Favourite Funny Book

Hmmm, I don't tend to read too many funny books. Most have humour in them somewhere but very few are comedy books. From my recent reads, I thought Swim the Fly by Don Calame was quite funny. However, the king of all awkward, precocious teens is Mr Adrian Mole. I've read the first two diaries over and over again since I was about twelve. If you've never read The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, I suggest you to go and buy it right away. 


Favourite Funny Film

I couldn't possibly choose! So many: Zoolander, East Is East, The Hangover, Matilda (!), Mean Girls, Confetti, Napolean Dynamite (Eat the food!), Team America...the list could go on and on. 

2 comments

  1. You have so many good funny movies listed. :) As for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, they were hilarious at the Golden Globes. I cracked up pretty hard at that Ben Affleck Boston dig too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting! I like their brand of humour but unfortunately we don't get to see them much over here- we are still waiting for one of our channels to pick up Parks & Recreation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!