The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Summer Reading Check-In

Friday, August 8, 2014

As I said in my What's Occurring? post, I've been working my way through the YA Buccaneers Summer Reading Challenge. I've read some wonderful books this summer and will probably do proper reviews for some of these but in the meantime here's a quick update of where I'm at:


Read a non-YA book Landline by Rainbow Rowell 
I really, really, really liked this one. I feel like it could be described as 'what happened to your favourite YA/NA couple fifteen years down the line'? Rainbow Rowell just has a knack for writing really cool women and Georgie is a prime example of this. As soon as she was introduced, I just imagined Elizabeth Banks. Ok, I'm rambling, which means I'll have to write a full review soon. TBC. 

Read a book with a male protagonist Gone by Michael Grant
I've been meaning to read this for years but never got round to it. I started off quite intrigued but by the time the coyotes started doing their thing I just couldn't get on board. I didn't really like that Under the Dome show so it's no surprise I wasn't particularly taken with this book. 

I forgot how utterly absorbing Harry Potter is to read. I watch the films a lot as there always seems to be one on somewhere but I haven't touched the books for a few years. It really was like meeting up with old friends again - the series was so much a part of growing up for me. I've also re-read Raw Blue (which seemed to resonate even more this time around. Love that book so much) and Jellicoe Road (which I'm using for the Printz winner). 

Read a book by a debut author Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae
This was so cute! I loved the Italian setting and the characters were just really sweet - even the troubled ones - and I couldn't help but almost shed a tear at one point. You know how when you read some books you can just imagine you and the author would be good friends - that the style and you are on the same wavelength? I felt like this whilst reading Wish You Were Italian. 

Read a book that's been on your TBR list for a long time Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Well, it hasn't been that long but I've had a copy on my shelf since my birthday in 2012 so long enough. I liked it. It was a little bit predictable but I liked the setting (both time and place) and Cinder was a cool character. Thumbs up for diversity also. 

Read a classic (YA or otherwise) The Outsiders by S.E Hinton
Another timeless masterpiece. Unfortunately, the subject matter is still all to relevant. Gangs and needless loss of young lives is still a huge problem everywhere. I'm actually surprised we never read this at school. 

Read a Printz winner Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Actually, this one hit me hard on re-reading too - perhaps it's an Australian speciality. I've read Jellicoe Road quite a few times now and it never loses its poignancy. Melina Marchetta also writes really cool well rounded young women. Oh and I couldn't help but picture Ben as Sammy from Dance Academy this time *sniff*.

What have you been reading this summer? It's not too late to join the challenge! 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!