The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Beat's On Repeat, Beating On Me

Monday, April 8, 2013

I've had two songs on repeat recently. The first is by Ariana Grande of Victorious and other tween television shows (I think). I'm not much of a Victorious fan- or any of the newer Nick/Disney shows for that matter. They seem to lack the subtle nuances of the shows I watched growing up. Everything's so loud and sometimes the humour is a little too mean spirited for my liking but that's for another day. Anyway, Ariana's latest track is a bit of a departure from her Nickelodeon style. All weekend, we have been saying she sounds a lot like a young Mariah Carey in the beginning. The sound is very 90's, which I love and there's a nice little rappy bit from Mac Miller to add to the Ariana-all-grown-up sound. 



The second song is by Sevyn Streeter. I remember seeing the video on 106 & Park at some point but didn't pay much attention. However, Ariana's song reminded me a little of this one in terms of the 90's, R&B, fun fair sound (what was it about fun fairs in videos back then? Remember that Jordan Knight song?!). Further investigation reveals both songs were produced by Harmony Samuels so that makes sense. 



I have also been trying to listen to some Pharrell tracks in honour of his birthday last week. How is that man 40 years old?! He hasn't aged at all. Here's one of my favourites (the break, with that bassline, halfway through, is perfection).

 


What are you listening to at the moment?

2 comments

  1. I'm actually loving the new Little Mix songs! It has a real 90s sound too, probably from the sample which I think is De La Soul. I also am constantly listening to Heartlight by TS7, it is my jaaaam. Cannot believe Pharrell is 40!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I haven't heard the new Little Mix offering yet. I shall investigate. Yes! It's not just R&B/pop getting the 90s injection- dance music too. I like the Disclosure/Duke Dumont tracks that are everywhere at the moment, although Radio 1 has completely rinsed them.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!